Mindfulness practices

This topic is to discuss other mindfulness practices that are not movement-based. This distinction between movement and non-movement is of my own construction, partly to try to organize the discussion and partly because of my own approach to mindfulness. As I mentioned in our previous topic, my first incorporation of mindfulness was through an introduction to yoga and tai chi about 15 years ago. When my movement became seriously limited with pain more recently, my desire to continue mindfulness work led me to explore more sedentary practices.

I have come to enjoy meditation, particularly guided meditations using a Youtube video or audio recording, and regularly use progressive body scans to calm and relax my body and mind. Progressive scans are my favorite practice, and I try to combine them with a breathing technique. In additional to relaxing me, these scans help me read my body and identify areas where I need to focus on releasing tension. Emotional Freedom Technique has come up before in our discussion of subtle energy, and it’s worth mentioning again here as it has the same qualities as other body awareness/mindfulness methods. EFT can be a helpful method for calming the mind and body together.

I think at the heart of any mindfulness practice is breath, and the effect of measured deep breathing on the mind and body. There are several breathing techniques that I’ve learned about. Just yesterday I was taught about a technique to alternate blocking one nostril and breathing through the other for deep breaths to calm down the mind and help fall asleep.

There are an abundance of ways to practice mindfulness, and it doesn’t take following a strict methodology. I would love to hear about how you practice mindfulness and which techniques you favor. How did you learn and choose a type of practice? Did you create something yourself that works best for you? How to do you incorporate mindfulness into your everyday life?
    #mindfulpractices #progressivebodyscans #emotionalfreedomtechnique #breathingtechniques

Rachel Carriere
  • Before I get out of bed in the morning I meditate or check in with how I feel. When I don’t have time to meditate I briefly take time to become more aware of my body, notice my breathing and repeat a mantra or affirmation to myself. Early this year my friend gave me a copy of The Five Minute Journal. So after I wake up I also take time to write in my journal, some days are easier to write in the journal than others, however I do find that no matter how I feel it helps me to be mindful of the good in my life and to envision the day I would like to have. #mindfulpractices #morningroutine #meditation #journaling #repeatmantraoraffirmation #breathingtechniques

otmorey
    • I’ve heard from others that morning is a good time for some meditation or otherbody awareness activities.  I’m more or a night person myself; I like to do my meditation as I’m winding down my day.  And I’m glad, otmorey, that you brought up journaling as a mode that allows for mindfulness as well.  We will talk more about this tomorrow also, when we get into therapies and coping.

I would love to hear more about how to incorporate mantras or affirmations into your meditation!  This has always been an area that I’ve struggled with.
      #journaling #meditation #usingmantras

Rachel Carriere
  • Maybe this has come up in other posts but if anyone has ever done The Artist’s Way – a workbook by Julia Cameron and its subsequent books, her practice of Morning Pages is an excellent way to cultivate mindfulness.

How it works is you get a full-sized notebook (roughly 8 1/2 x 11″) and write three pages of stream-of-consciousness writing as the first thing you do when you get up in the morning. Every morning. She requires this as part of the 12-week course that is The Artist’s Way (it’s self-directed though, so only you will know if you don’t do your practice) but also beyond the course itself. I’m not writing Morning Pages currently but I have worked my way through that course three times and have used Morning Pages a lot in my life to get grounded, centered, and clear my head for the day.

AppleStrudel
  • Thanks for sharing about The Artist’s Way, AppleStrudel! I looked up the book on Amazon. I’ve never heard of this before but I am really drawn to this kind of method for practicing mindful awareness and intentions. I think it’s great to mention, too, right after coming out of a week where we focused on arts-based techniques for body listening. I think this fits both discussions well.
    #mindfulnessincreativity

Has anyone else followed a structured program for practicing mindfulness, arts-based or not?

Rachel Carriere
  • I also like the journal that I’m using because it also incorporates a nigh routine. As far as incorporating mantras/affirmations; I just keep it simple. I use a phrase that has personal meaning to me or if I had to deal with something stressful the previous day the words can just take the form or an acknowledgement of gratitude for the new day. I’ve also meditated by repeating the word “Om’, but I have not done that in a while. #journaling #meditation #usingmantras

otmorey
    • Thanks for sharing! I have found that affirmations sometimes feel a little uncomfortable or silly to me, so I don’t always use them when that happens. I think that might mean that I haven’t found the right affirmation yet. I’ve tried “Om”, but I usually prefer using a phrase that has personal meaning. #findingmyaffirmation

Rachel Carriere
  • Many of my mantras and affirmations come from song lyrics or poetry. The words that resonate with my heart, are the ones I carry with me through the day. These phrases bring me peace, particularly if I’m having a hard day. One of my favorite poets is Rumi. His words are timeless. #Rumi #Poetry #SongLyrics #Peace #PhysicalPainReduction #EmotionalPainReduction

Doris
    • What a great idea! I will keep that in mind as I’m reading, to search for things that might make meaningful affirmations for me.

Rachel Carriere

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.